Friday, July 27, 2007

Noise Box





My first true circuit bent signal processor – made from the insides of a small amplifier that uses the 386 IC. I put two amp bends onto the circuit board to make loud squeals, which interfere with whatever signal is being put in, and alter it in a lot of interesting ways. The only challenge with this is that the box needed a line-level signal to “tame” the squeals, so to speak – the device would just make noise by itself without a line-level input, which could be quite annoying. Fortunately, this worked pretty well with a microphone, so I just left it as is so it functions for both kinds of sources.  I also housed the whole thing in a vintage walkie-talkie box, so I think it looks really great.
Sound sample is recorded with an unbent SK-1 being played through it.

No comments: