Friday, July 27, 2007

Jungle Gear clone II – High Frequency





I got this keyboard just at the point that I had run out of the right value of pots to use for the clock speed bend on this one, so I decided to try out a graphite resistor interface, as described in Nic Collin’s book Handmade Electronic Music, as well as other places. Doing it proved a little harder than I had imagined – I used two small tack nails as contact points, then drew graphite lines radiating out from them. The hardest part was getting electricity to travel between the tack nails and the graphite drawn on paper. I eventually ended up stripping some multistrand wire, soldering it onto the nails, spreading it out over a base of graphite, and hot-gluing the whole thing in place, which was messy but functional. The keyboard ended up sounding really good, and could be played either with an alligator clip or direct finger contact between the graphite areas.  Here's a link to a Sample

No comments: