Saturday, October 6, 2007

New Galaxy Guitar













You may remember the galaxy guitar from this post, and that it was completely fucked. Well, no more! I replaced the faulty transistor, so now it's REALLY loud, and added a couple of innovations -- I found that I could make an LED light up in response to sound by connecting it across the new transistor - so I wired that up and stuck it out the front of the galaxy guitar, my inspiration is at the top.
. Now it can be wiggled around in front of the photoresistor, allowing for excellent expressive control.
I also added a voltage control input that has some (limited) interactivity with the pitch control. It works extremely well with a piezodisk, and not much else. A wonderful effect (which, of course, I can't find now) involves a piezo I attached some wires to, then strummed the wires while playing the galaxy guitar, creating really warbly noise and junk sounds.

SOUND LINK

3 comments:

jm said...

hey man it's joe--
i just ripped out a couple of tape player heads from an old stereo or two and i was wondering what the hell they need 6 leads for. which colors do what? do you remember from your tape experiments last year? any thoughts would be appreciated.

Brendan said...

Probably they are stereo heads, so each head is really two-in-one: thus, two wires per head - that's four, I'm not sure what the other 2 would be for!

jm said...

hehe they're record leads. :-0